• Douglas MacArthur High School, San Antonio.
• Rice University – BA (Biochemistry).
• Washington University, St. Louis – MD.
• UTSA – BS (Mechanical Engineering).
• Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government – Masters of Public Administration.
• Heart, Lung, and Vascular Surgeon
• Trauma Surgeon in Operation Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom
• Former Head of Army's only Heart Transplant Program
• Former Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Brooke Army Medical Center
• Former Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Audie Murphy VA Hospital
• Former President of Alamo Cardiothoracic Surgical Associates, P.A.
• Currently practices Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine with Wound Healing Associates, San Antonio, TX
• Former Green Beret, Paratrooper, Military Diver, Flight Surgeon
• Deployed to War three times
• Experience as Senior Clinical Consultant, Army Directorate for Combat Doctrine Development
• Former Thoracic Surgery Consultant to the Surgeon General of the United States Army
• Retired as a Colonel from United States Army, 31 May 2006
• Brigadier General in the Texas State Guard and Commander of the Texas Medical Brigade
• Former faculty member at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, and the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
• Head of the Army's premier training program for cardiothoracic surgeons
• Author of numerous scientific and professional publications
• Graduate of UTSA College of Engineering (B.S. Mechanical Engineering, 1999)
• Research in Bioengineering
• Graduate of Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (M.P.A., 2003)
• Regional Chairman, John McCain Healthcare Professionals Advisory Committee, 2008
• Boy Scouts of America: Assistant Scoutmaster, Member of National Health and Safety Committee, Member of Southern Region Executive Board
• Deputy Chief Medical Officer for External Affairs – 2010 BSA National Jamboree
• Chief of External Hospital Interface – 2013 BSA National Jamboree
• Former member, South Texas Organ Bank Board of Directors
• UTSA Engineering Advisory Council
• Chair, Bexar County Medical Society Emergency Preparedness Committee
• Member Texas Medical Association
• Devoted husband to Deborah Cohen, father of five sons, one grandson.
Goals: I have spent my professional life in public service as a military officer, physician, engineer, and educator. I would like to continue to serve my local community through continued public service activity. I think that my background in the military, healthcare, state disaster planning with the Texas State Guard, and involvement with our local universities gives me a unique insight into problems and solutions faced by San Antonio as it continues to grow and become one of the largest and most diverse cities in the United States. I believe that I would bring a broad and unique perspective to the San Antonio City Council, which would serve the people of our city.